Experience the energy of a dynamic new organization. Enjoy food, fun, and festivities with French savoir vivre.
Learn French and discover a new world of people, places, and perspectives. Members receive invitations to Alliance activities, as well as free or reduced entrance to events thoughout the year.
Alliance Française de Lafayette is a non-profit, tax-exempt organization
The Alliance Française de Lafayette is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization in the process of obtaining tax-exempt status. AF Lafayette is officially recognized by the Alliance Française de Paris through the Délégation des Alliances Françaises aux Etats-Unis located in Washington D.C. Alliance Française de Lafayette thereby stands as an integral part of this prestigious, international network.
The Alliance Française is an international network of 1100 chapters situated in more than 132 countries. 141 chapters exist in the United States alone. The Alliance was created in Paris in 1883 to promote French language and culture throughout the world. Among the board members of the first chapter were such illustrious people as writers Jules Verne and Ernest Renan, scientist Louis Pasteur, diplomat Ferdinand de Lesseps, and publisher Armand Colin.
The mission of the Alliance Française de Lafayette is to enrich, develop and sustain the French community of Lafayette and its surrounding area by teaching French and its local varieties while affirming and building on its heritage through diverse cultural programming.
• a forum for intercultural dialogue with a special emphasis on French and its local varieties
• a chance to explore identity, culture, and heritage in a relaxed, friendly atmosphere while making new friends
• a bridge extending across generations to enhance community by passing on its special linguistic heritage through cultural and interactive programming
Who Speaks French?
• French is an official language of UN, the International Red Cross, the Olympic Games, the European Court of Justice, UNESCO, NATO, the International Labor Bureau, and others.
• French is spoken on over five continents and is the official language of 28 countries.
• The US federal govt. listed 204 international jobs that require or prefer French (8/30/05).
• French is an official language in Louisiana.
• YOU CAN TOO!
Why Speak French?
…to fulfill a long-cherished dream…to honor a precious cultural heritage…to gain insight into older generations…to accompany your child through French immersion …to meet new friends…to travel to exotic places…to carry on the tradition…to invest in your personal enrichment…to explore the world…to discover yourself